Flying Is A Privilege?

I was once told by a TSA supervisor that flying is not a right; it is a privilege.  I've read this same argument other places in defense of the TSA's invasive protocols.  Using this logic, everything not mentioned in the Bill of Rights is a privilege.  Gee, should I ask a government official if I can take a bath?  How about eating?  Can I blink without permission?

Flying is neither a right nor a privilege.  It is a commercial activity.  A contract between the passenger and the airline.  As such, the government is (or is supposed to be) prohibited from infringing upon this activity.  Providing security should be the obligation of the airlines or the airports, which, by the way, should be privately owned, not owned by the government.

In the free market, passengers would decide what level of security they were most comfortable with,  Most likely, a dominate level of security would emerge and become the standard adopted by most airlines (think of how the internet functions).

Unfortunately, the government is not really concerned with true safety, but promoting the appearance of security—"security theater" as some call it.  It's all about control, folks.

del.icio.us  Stumbleupon  Technorati  Digg

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• 11/13/2010 2:00 PM Jackie wrote:
    Ah yes. Like our First and Second Amendment rights, now flying is also something we should bend over and lick government boots for.

Ooops. Forgot.
  • 11/13/2010 4:13 PM Rick wrote:
    What the TSA told you is a true statement except it should only involve pilots. Where testing has to take place and could then be considered a privilage and not a right. With that you can then use the same logic that driving is not a right but a privilege. But is it also a privilege to pay sales taxes and income taxes to fund these exercises in socialism. If they would spend as much energy cracking down on illegals at the border, I mean the whole purpose of this is to stop terrorist from sticking explosives in their butt cheeks. Yet on both North and South borders you can drive a mini van across in parts with no problem. But again this is a great example of the government blowing things out of proportion.
    1. 11/13/2010 8:22 PM Jackie wrote:
      I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Rick.

First off, a person doesn't *need* a a pilot license to successfully operate a plane. If I buy an airplane, why should it be a "privilege" to use it? I can understand why one when choose to take lessons, and I can also understand a private organization giving it's seal of approval to pilots who have proven their abilities and that making them more attractive to airlines to fly the planes that are their property, but why is it necessary to get permission from the government to do what you wish with your own property? When you to test for a (drivers or) pilots license, what you are doing is getting government permission to use a piece of your own private property. All a license is good for is #1 extorting money from you and #2 keep you from getting arrested (maybe).

I also disagree about illegals. The 9/11 hijackers were all here under legal visas. They didn't sneak over the border. They knew they had to be careful and the last thing they want is to have the government breathing down their necks and having to worry about Uncle Sam deporting them in the middle of a plot. They give the government whatever they want to keep them happy. The idea of illegals being an issue in just a another place to throw blame instead of having the American people see that the government is, in fact, the problem. It's just using paranoia and racism to hide the truth.
      1. 11/15/2010 10:12 AM koberulz wrote:
        Call me crazy, but I'm not too big on the idea of letting random people in things that have a tendency to crash and cause fatalities.
  • 11/15/2010 12:05 AM beth wrote:
    As for our borders I could care less. I say either shut the door totally (no one in legal or not)or take the door off the hinges the squeak of it swinging is driving me crazy. The problem is not who is crossing or how they do it, but what the government hands to them when they enter. (welfare, ect)For those living under rocks you don't have to be legal to get welfare.
    As for the TSA and the debate of rights or privileges free market or government control. well my government says I live in a free market country, so therefor flying is a right...because I have the right to choose a fast trip in a plane over a long trip in a car. But again for those living under rocks the government lies, and it controls everything this is not a free market country anymore. I feel I need a permit to take a deep breathe so I do not get arrested for taking in more than my daily aloud amount of oxygen.
    so for anyone who feels all the TSA safety checks are a good thing and it makes you feel safe on the plan please remember this...they search YOU and your carry on bag...but they do not search the baggage that is stored below. So there is no need for a terrorist to be on the plane, he need only to place his bomb in a suitcase and check it in. Then he can OOPS miss his flight but still blow up your A**. Gee I fell SO PROTECTED HOW ABOUT YOU
  • 11/15/2010 12:38 PM Maryette wrote:
    Well, you do have the right to choose whatever mode transportation you wish, but after you've made that choice and buy your ticket that right then becomes a privilege. You become part of that elite group of individuals who can afford flying the friendly skies and you are welcomed by that particular airport. You will then be expected to abide by the rules and regulations of said airport. If you do not (and cause any trouble) you are in jeopardy of losing your right (a little) and your privilege (totally) to fly with that airport because they will then carry out their right to have you held by security/police, have you escorted out and put you on the list of persons no longer allowed to use their fair facility. The thing is for once I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.
  • 11/15/2010 3:47 PM Tom wrote:
    Flying is a right in the US Code.
    49 U.S.C. § 40103 : US Code - Section 40103: Sovereignty and use of airspace
    (a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit. - (1) The United
    States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the
    United States.
    (2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit
    through the navigable airspace.
  • 11/15/2010 5:51 PM Lindsey wrote:
    I was flying back from Nashville this morning and I say the best use of a full body scanner ever. The TSA agents were using it to store the extra plastic bins. I thought it was perfect.

If I purchase anything; car, boat, plane ticket then it is not a privilege that I have it. It is now my property. Much to the Governments chagrin they can tell me what to do with my property but I don’t necessarily have to listen to them. They can try to prevent me from using it by saying I’m not authorized too, but ultimately short of taking my property from me they can’t stop me from doing what I wish with it.
    The exception to this is obviously the plane ticket; even though I have gone to the airline, purchased their property (a seat) from them for those flight/flights making it technically mine for that time span of said flight. The TSA has been given full authority to not only deny me the right to use my property as I wish, but to also deny me the so called privilege of flying by placing me on the No Fly List if I’m bad. Wait I’m sorry how does that make sense?
    I’m told that I have to be stripped search and fondled for my own protection yet I don’t feel protected. I’m also told that I can’t protect myself by carry any type of weapon on the plane, maintain my own personal hygiene by carrying nail clippers, any liquid or gel over 3 ounces. My shoes, bags, belongings and I are all zapped by people who have no idea what they’re actually working for. Trust me on this one. I see it everyday.
    Now thanks to the latest “terrorist plot” my job has also been restricted because we can no longer send printer cartridges over 16 ounces on a commercial jet.

The definition of Terrorism is as follows the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes. All Terrorism is fancy word for bully. The so called terrorists aren’t who we’re lead to think they are. Sure you can blame Al Qaeda, Osama Bin Laden or even Harvey the Rabbit. It’s easy to blame them because they’re an unseen enemy. If you even notice when someone is “linked” to a terrorist plot the actual proof of the link is never provided. We’re just told there is one, generally believe it and are expected to go our merry ways without any proof. Wait I’m sorry that’s just a no. If we’re talking about blowing planes up with shampoo, nail clippers and printer ink then I want to see the proof. Just telling me the items used in a suspected plot isn’t going to work. IMO what I’m finding a lot of these days when it comes to the Dept. of Homeland Security, The TSA and our Government in general is it’s always easier to blame the person that’s not in the room then to look for the actual culprit. Same thing also applies to every day life. If you don’t believe me turn on a high profile court case and see if you see anyone take actual responsibility for their actions.
    (cont)
  • 11/15/2010 5:59 PM Lindsey wrote:
    The same rules apply to the TSA. We’re expected by them to comply. If we refuse then they gleefully exercise their so called god given authority to make our lives a living hell by any means necessary.
    Forgive me but isn’t this what used to be America? At last check it wasn’t illegal to refuse an illegal search, but lord knows what laws are really on the books these days. If they can outlaw cooking oil they can certainly make a public groping legal. So long as someone’s pocket book gets nicely lined its fine.